Home > PGDP History
> Plant Operations, Environmental Events, Actions
Paducah Plant History
Paducah Plant Timeline
Congress established the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) with the Atomic Energy
Act of 1946 and gave civilian control over atomic energy.
Although a civilian commission, the
oversaw all U.S. nuclear:
The Atomic Energy Act Amendment of 1954 allowed the development of commercial nuclear
In 1965, the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant (PGDP) switched
from enriching uranium for bombs to enriching uranium for nuclear reactors.
In 1975, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and
the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA) took over the responsibilities
assumed responsibilities for uranium enrichment.
Then in October 1977, the
ERDA's functions were transferred
to the newly created Department of Energy (DOE).