Significant Events, the DOE's PGDP Environmental Timeline
The Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), Congress established with the Atomic Energy Act of 1946 gave civilian control over atomic energy.
Although a civilian commission, the AEC oversaw all U.S. nuclear:
- science and technology
The Atomic Energy Act Amendment of 1954 allowed the development of commercial nuclear
1965, the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant (PGDP) switched from enriching uranium for bombs to enriching uranium for nuclear reactors.
In 1975, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and
the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA) took over the responsibilities
The ERDA assumed responsibilities for uranium enrichment.
Then in October 1977, the ERDA's functions were transferred
to the newly created Department of Energy (DOE).